…female NFL viewership has grew by 27%, much higher than the 18% growth for men. Yet when it comes to the “female” football league, women wear “bikinis,” as an uniform. Lets look at the numbers which suggest a need for change:
1. 45% of the NFL’s more than 150 million American fans are women
2. 35% of NFL regular-season games are viewed by woman
3. 43% of NFL games are attended by women
4. Regular-Season female viewership is up 27%
5. Superbowl Sunday female viewership is up 15%
6. Sunday Night female viewership is up 25%
7. Thursday Night female viewership is up 32%
8. 85% of licensed NFL merchandise purchasing is by woman
9. Since 2004, the number of adult women watching NFL games on ESPN has increased 60% — higher than the 47% ratings gains NFL games have experienced on ESPN during that time.
… the numbers indicate women are serious about the sport–so why are “we” not up in arms about the way women are sexualized in the female league?